With today’s thorough research and continuous engagement of scientists as to how to develop a treatment for stroke patients, there is a hope that Stem Cell Therapy is an effective treatment as it shows several great signs of recovery. Ben Spencer of The Daily Mail writes that a treatment was developed by a team of scientists at Imperial College in London. It was said to be effective as it triggered the regeneration of brain cells that were damaged during a stroke.
A few stroke patients that tried Stem Cell Therapy stated they regained their ability to speak as well as regaining motor functions in their arms and legs. Several stated that, over a span of six months, their vision improved as well.
“Scientists cautioned that the new treatment is at a very early stage, and said it needs to be tested on thousands more people before it can be declared a complete success, but they said the results show great potential to revolutionize life for stroke patients.” From The Daily Mail – Hope for stroke victims after radical stem cell treatment enables patients to move and talk again.
The treatment was initially pioneered by five patients that suffered from severe ischemic strokes. There were improvements when it came to their general abilities but researchers still need to further study a more concrete treatment for all stroke patients.
Life After a Stroke
Four of the patients had suffered the worst category of stroke in which the circulation of their blood supply on one side of their brain was cut off. Patients who suffer from this type of stroke only have a 50% chance to live within 6 months. 46% of those who do live are no longer able to do any regular activities on their own and depend on caretakers. Of all those who suffer from this kind of stroke, only 4% successfully recover enough to lead the lives they had before.
The therapy that was used in the said study is called CD34+. This is a set of stem cells in the bone marrow that triggers regeneration of blood vessels and blood cells.
“The remarkable results, however described in the journal Stem Cells Translational Medicine, come with many caveats. The experiment was only set up to establish that the treatment was safe – which it did – but five patients are not enough to show that it is truly effective.” From The Daily Mail – Hope for stroke victims after radical stem cell treatment enables patients to move and talk again.
Dr Madina Kara, a neuroscientist at The Stroke Association, said: “This is one of the most exciting recent developments in stroke research; however, it’s still early days in stem cell research but the findings could lead to new treatments for stroke patients in the future.” From The Daily Mail – Hope for stroke victims after radical stem cell treatment enables patients to move and talk again.
The Stem Cell Treatment that was introduced will surely be a big help to the health industry. It can contribute to societies in which there is a high risk of stroke. The only thing researchers and scientists need to work on is how they can consistently improve the growth of these Stem Cell Therapies.
Learn More About Stem Cell Therapy
Regenerative Medicine Has the Potential to Treat Stroke Victims
Advancements in technology and medical research are showing that more and more alternative treatments are being developed to help ease life after a stroke.